Monday, April 16, 2007

The Arrival of Justin Murphy

I’m a young 21 year old writer who’s had a couple of novels and a collection of short stories published. I’m also trying to cut my teeth in screenwriting for film and television, and I’ve already snagged the attention of a producer who’s looking to make me a development prospect for his production company. However, his production company is still in the financing stages, so it’ll be quite awhile before he gets to the creative side, and is able to get things off the ground.

My best screenplays are Hitchcock Films Can Be Murder, a suspense thriller about a Hitchcock enthusiast who’s accused of murder. A biopic about the legendary rock band Fleetwood Mac, and The Human Condition, a sci-fi/fantasy where a man in his late 30's explores our basic human condition as the ultimate journey. I’ve also written a few spec samples for a few television series such as Desperate Housewives, Lost, and the long running soap opera One Life To Live. I feel my biggest weakness is even though I can write the minimum 90 page screenplay (the preferred length for low budget indies), I’m still not able to stretch out to the 110 page maximum (the preferred length for major studios). A friend of mine of who’s a veteran screenwriter and indie producer says it’s either because the middle is too thin or the beginning or the end is too fast paced.

Did you know most people are not aware how very little authors get paid, why do you think they turn to screenwriting and movie adaptations? When Stephen King got his first novel Carrie published, he got a $2,000 advance, but still needed his day job teaching at a university. After selling the film rights, he got $400,000, and was able to quit that day job. And the rest is history. It’s that way for authors at every level from the NY Times Bestsellers right down to the small eBook authors on The Internet.

Now you’ve learned the reason why the word ‘’bestseller’‘ has the same initials as the word ‘’bullshit’‘. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please leave your comments.............


Regards,

Justin Murphy

No comments: